PURCHASING IN MEMBER STATES OF THE EUROPEAN UNION
If you purchase goods for your personal use, you will not have to fill out a declaration or pay duties and taxes when leaving or returning to France.
You pay the value added tax (VAT) directly in the country where you purchase the goods and at the local rate in that country.
However, there are restrictions for certain products such as:
- 800 cigarettes / 400 cigarillos / 200 cigars / 1kg of tobacco maximulm.
- Spirit drinks: 10L max
- Wines: 90L max (including 60L sparkling wine)
- Beers: 110L
PURCHASING IN NON-MEMBER COUNTRIES OF THE EUROPEAN UNION
When you arrive in France, customs and tax duties for quantities and values are applicable according to the categories of goods you are carrying, if you have purchased the items:
- In a non-member country of the European Union (third countries),
- In an area outside the Community customs territory (i.e. the overseas territories of French Polynesia, St-Pierre-and-Miquelon, Wallis-and-Futuna or in the case of New Caledonia and Saint-Barthelemy, for example),
- In a third tax zone (i.e. the overseas departments of Guyana, Réunion, Guadeloupe and Martinique or in the case of Saint-Martin, the Channel Islands or the Canary Islands, for example).
OBLIGATION TO DECLARE SUMS AND VALUES
- More than 10 000 €
- Sums, securities or securities must be declared to the customs administration.
- Some products are prohibited or subject to special formalities.
- Like: weapons and ammunition, plants, animals, drugs or alcoholic beverages and tobacco
- About declarations of sums and values, consult the declarative obligation of the amounts and values of Customs,
- About the purchase in EU or non-EU countries consult:
- The French Customs website.
- Contact "Customs Service Info" on 0 811 20 44 44 *.
- When you arrive at Montpellier Méditerranée Airport, go to the information desk to complete your customs and tax formalities
* 0.06 € / min + price of a call. Outside France : +33 1 72 40 78 50