If Amsterdam seduces you, Rotterdam surprises you!
Up to 4
Montpellier - Rotterdam
The second biggest city in the Netherlands, Rotterdam is considered as an outdoor museum of modern architecture. Totally rebuilt after the bombing in the Second World War, new Rotterdam is a city of avant-garde architecture, with futuristic lines, quite unlike the other old European metropolises. The famousErasmus Bridge, spanning the Maas River, is its symbol.
A European culturalhub, a potential rival to Paris or London, the Nieuwe Binnenstad or New Rotterdamcity hosts numerous theatres and some of the country’s major museums, including the famous Boijmans van Beuningen museum.
Rotterdam is known as a dynamic, innovative and happeningcity, with a very trendy nightlife scene, a city in rapid expansion, that flows along with the current.
This city of contrasts can be discovered on foot, by boat and bicycle, making it an ideal destination for a stay that is 100% contemporary, for a festivalweek-end of nights with a difference, or for shopping.
- The old port (Oude Haven)
- The White House (Witte Huis)
- Cube houses designed by architect Piet Blom
- The Boijmans Van Beuningen Museum
- Schielandhuis Museum of History
- Rotterdam port by boat
- The Euromast Tower
- Erasmus Bridge
- Discovering the port of Rotterdam by boat (3rd biggest port in the world)
- January: Rotterdam International Film Festival
- April: Nacht van Oranje (Orange Night)
- 30 April: Queen’s Day
- June: CHIO International, horse-riding event
- July: North Sea Jazz Festival
- July: Zomercarnaval / Carnival – Street Parade
- Sleep in a cubehouse: Designed in the 70's, these curious houses are quite unique and impossible not to notice in Rotterdam. We can’t but wonder what the floors are like inside? Stay in a cube house and maybe you’ll be able to tell us the answer!
- Take an amphibious bus ride: With Rotterdam Splashtours, visit Rotterdam on land and... on water. This bus turns into a boat to sail on the Meuse river. Definitely an exciting way to visit a city.
- Erwtensoep or snert: thick soup made from split peas.
- Rijsttafel: a dish made of dry cooked rice, with a myriad of small side dishes containing meat, mixed vegetables, sauces and spices.
- Leiden Stamppot / Hutsepot: potato hotpot with meat cooked in broth and vegetables (usually cabbage).
- Boerenkool met worst: kale with sausage.
- Zuurkool with spek: sauerkraut and bacon.
Cheeses and Breads
- White, brown or black bread with sesame, poppy, sunflower or pumpkin seeds...
- Fromages : Gouda, Edam, Maasdam, accompagnés de pains au sésame, au pavot, au tournesol, aux graines de courge, blanc, brun ou noir…
- Pannekoek : crêpe généralement recouverte de stroop, un sirop de betterave proche du sirop d'érable.
- Poffertjes : minicrêpes légèrement soufflées recouvertes de beurre et de sucre glace.
- Pains d'épices sucrés ou épicés (de Groningue, de Deventer et de Frise, pains d'épice au gingembre).
- Spéculoos de la Saint-Nicolas.
- Large selection of beers: Heineken, Brand, Amstel, Kroon Pills, Christoffel Limburg, Brabant Trappe,